What would you do if you had a million dollars? This is the question that high school guidance counselors ask to find out what profession you want to go into. Let me clarify, I mean 1 million dollars, not 50 or 100 million.
Its interesting, for those who believe in the 4% rule, this is the amount to provide $40,000/year for essentially the remainder of your life. For those planning on retiring early this is likely enough to live comfortably and happily. For the average family they probably would feel like they would need at least double this for $80k-$100k/yr. So with the idea of 1 million dollars, they may either feel depressed at the fact that they would still need to work, or quickly spend the money on frivolous pleasures, most likely the latter.
After either quitting my job or agreeing to work 2 days a week, here is the list of what I would do:
- Take my kids to school late and pick them up early, or just stay home with them everyday
- Exercise 5 days a week
- Read more books
- Finish painting the bathroom and other home renovations that I’ve only thought about
- Learn Photography
- Learn how to cook……well
- Take a road trip out west, for weeks….or months
- Go to the Caribbean for the months of January through March. Not on a $50 million yacht or 5 bedroom beachfront villa with butler service but a reasonable monthly rental.
- Learn how to play the guitar
- Take my son fishing…on a weekday
- Learn woodworking
Thats all I’ve got for now. The thing is that most of these things don’t take tons of money, and a few could potentially make money. They do take time though, which is what’s keeping me from doing some of them right now.
What’s on your list? (I know you’ve got one).